Reboot Computer Services 106 Walcot Street Bath BA1 5BG 01225 447227 sales@rebootltd.com

Home The Shop Support Oddments

Hincot Ltd. registered in England and Wales Co. reg. no. 483 8381 VAT reg. no. 811 3624 64

Interceptor 650

Ah - G994PNH - where are you now - There follows a blow by blow account of the long struggle to get this car up together. This was originally written on a Psion 5 on successive evenings down the pub and published using the Serif Webplus service that is now discontinued so is now reproduced as a text file

January 2007 dawned with the growing realisation that the A6 12 valve 2771 V6 was just too trouble free. Even the aircon worked and the only real problem which was the lack of synchromesh on second was not one that was ever going to be fixed. It was also rather slow and sensible especially when compared with the 200 turbo that it replaced. This had arrived via a dealer in Bristol from a chap near Highbridge who I was subsequently in contact with about some "issues" that I thought he may have made some investigations into. Anyway, nearly 5 years on I had a call from this chap to say that he still had some paperwork for the 200 and did I want it. Oh, and in passing, that he was selling the 100 turbo avant quattro that had replaced the 200. In was natural, therefore, that when I discovered that he was selling his other car due to a move that I found myself driving down to Highbridge to test drive his V8 quattro that was for sale on ebay. I must say it looked very nice parked up, sounded very nice when started and drove and rode well when tried. I bought it and sold the A6. Not much wrong, I thought, no gas in the air con, cruise not working, headlamp washers not working, and to compensate a load of bits thrown in and an enormous receipt for a gearbox rebuild 15,000 miles earlier (one look at the gearbox on this car would convince anybody that that was a major plus). Oh and somebody had lowered it by 40mm.

So the Saga began    

In the last week in January we were due to travel to Helensburgh to stay in a Landmark Trust flat. The V8 was the chosen conveyance but would need some maintenance first. One of the receipts that was conspicuous by its abence was the one for the cambelt replacement. With 4 cams and 32 valves a broken cambelt is best avoided so the most important of the necessary parts were purchased (having the longest cam drive since the lotus cortina meant that an unfeasibly large number of idlers are fitted all of which are supposed to be replaced along with the water pump, tensioner and anything else one cares to mention). This task (along with track control arms, serpentine belt, oil change and brake pads) was bravely taken on by a long suffereing garage of my acquaintance who ended up spending about 4 days on it and charging a fantastically reasonable sum. Especially considering the injuries sustained. After all this some other tiresome little niggles were reported for example the serpentine belt tensioner which has to be released with a spanner before anything can be removed from the engine had had its hexagon rounded off by persons unknown necessitating the use of levers which resulted in some of the aforementioned injuries. When asked to rate the ease of working on the car from 0 to a Jaguar V12 he thought that it was up there with the V12


We still had the graunching from the front suspension but the leaking exhaust was fixed. The last owner had included a secondhand front exhaust section to replace the one that had been damaged by a speeding branch. This had been "professionally welded" but I suspect that the welder's profession was possibly decorating or carpet laying - definitely not welding. The weekend before we went up north the CD player had to be fitted and the demister fixed. The lack of demisting had made January driving really rather difficult and was assumed to be caused by a faulty or disconnected vacuum servo but after removing a lot of intractable interior trim panels, uneccesarily removing and checking the aircon programmer and taking up the normal head down in the footwell position it became obvious that somebody had left out a bit of heater ducting. A bit of flexible hose, a plastic flowerpot and a quantity of duct tape successfully replaced it and after only a moderate struggle with the trim panels we were ready to go.




Part Two